Catherine Daniel Ceramics

Hello and welcome to my blog where I share some of the thought processes and textile/quilting inspirations behind my ceramic art, and occasionally other random topics!
For more details and pictures of my ceramic creations, please see my website -

catherinedanielceramics.com



Tuesday 8 February 2011

Starfish

It happens to be Jules Verne's birthday today - he of 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea' fame. I never read the book but I remember watching the film as a kid and being terrified by the scenes where Captain Nemo is battling with the Giant Squid. Eeek!


I don't think Captain Nemo and his crew would have had the same problems if they had encountered one of my sea creatures. No, its not a squid! Its a stacking starfish - much friendlier.

In fact, let's face it, if the crew of the Nautilus had seen starfish like these at twenty thousand leagues under, they were probably on some kind of hallucinogenic substances!

But I am really pleased with these, which came out of the kiln last week, and the design for the starfish gets wackier each time I make a set.

And yesterday I took delivery of a whole range of new glaze colours, so things are going to get a whole lot more weird and wonderful. Now ... should I make a giant squid ... how many tentacles is that? Hmmmm.



3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog again, they are gorgeous! Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an original idea and I like the alliteration of 'stacking starfish' Look forward to seeing your new range of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pieces you have on display here! What a lovely job you must have making all of these! xxx

    ReplyDelete