Catherine Daniel Ceramics

Hello and welcome to my blog where I share some of the thought processes and textile/quilting inspirations behind my ceramic art, and occasionally other random topics!
For more details and pictures of my ceramic creations, please see my website -

catherinedanielceramics.com



Friday 29 June 2012

Poettery - a cross between Pottery and Poetry!!



I drive past a charity shop most days, and I drive by very slowly so that I can have a good look at what new things they've put outside, and mostly I have just about avoided driving off the road whilst doing so.  Anyway, one day I spotted these two hefty planks of wood, connected one above the other with rope.  I have not the faintest idea what they could have been used for, (swinging shelves??), but I instantly knew what I would use them for.  So I parted with a fiver and they came home with me.


I made lots of letters to form a quote from a favourite poem along with other objects described in the poem, a crab, a shell, a starfish and a smooth round stone.  Below you see the letters all finished with the other pieces still at the bisque stage.  I shuffled them around on the board til I was happy with the composition, took a photo so that I would remember, and then glazed and fired the rest of the pieces.


I decided to paint the board white as the glazed finish always looks brighter on a white background.  When they popped out of the kiln I stuck them to the board and Hey Presto!  This is what it looks like.
   


Complete with original rope through original holes for hanging on a wall in a seaside home.
And the poem?
     


maggie and milly and molly and may
by E E Cummings

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)
and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and
     


milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were,
and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles; and
     


may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
It's always ourselves we find in the sea.


And what happened to the other board I bought?  It's another Poettery one which I'll show next time.

Have a lovely weekend.
x Cathy

17 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that poem before is really nice and I love the idea of your boards, they are great fun.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely- I do so enjoy ee cummings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upcycling with a vengeance - whatever they were before, those planks of wood have never been so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and e.e.cummings is one of my favourite poets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that poem! Fab use of a plank :)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that is gorgeous! I cannot believe all the work that went into it!- a real treasure!
    Incidentally, I just had a look at your very talented daughters fabulous art work! Love it! Especially as I was once a radiographer so those mages a very familiar ! She is soooo creative, just like her mum!
    Heather x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather - thanks for looking and liking! She is soooo much more talented than her mum!

      Delete
  7. I love that poem and so made for your pottery. Looking forward to the next one and hope you find many more hefty planks of wood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely beautiful! Your work is so very lovely.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

    I have just shown this to Krissie (saying nothing of the other goodies of course!) and she thinks Kit will really love the sentiment.

    Good job we decided against mounting, as we think the board might be confiscated at customs. Will be in touch re pick-up date!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fantastic make! LOVE IT!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popped by to say thanks for your comment. Absolutely love the plaque. And you were right the letters and creatures all look so good on white. I am green with envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that crab and what a fabulous idea as I'm very into shells and sea stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Cathy!
    I LOVE your work :o) I'm certain to be stopping by again :o)
    Thank you for your visit and kind words.
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I adore this!! I know the poem but to turn it into poeterry was just inspired. Kudos :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post, with the poetry and the wonderful work that you do. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Nicely done,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that line 'it's always ourselves we find in the sea', it's so playful, and it's wonderfully conveyed here!

    ReplyDelete